Director of Communications
Make a difference and help us eliminate hunger in our community. The Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore (FSEVA) distributed over 15.5 million meals last year through our Partner Agencies and Programs. We are an inclusive and socially active organization serving a diverse community encompassing 11 cities and counties in Southeastern Virginia and on the Eastern Shore. Our mission is leading the effort to eliminate hunger in our community.
This position is responsible for leading the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore’s (FSEVA) communications, public relations and marketing efforts.
Working together with the Philanthropy Department, this position oversees the day-to-day operations and overall marketing and communication strategy. This includes donor stewardship, messaging and framing, design of print, online and electronic collateral, management of publications processes from concept to completion and promotion, management of media and public relations, advertising, social media and other forms of electronic and internal communications.
The position is responsible for collaborating with staff and volunteers on projects, setting priorities, implementing success and outcome measures, tracking and analyzing project performance, and achieving defined mission and strategic goals. This position reports to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and will potentially manage 2 staff members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty fully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties and responsibilities are those considered to be essential but do not represent all job functions that may be required to be performed by this position. Other comparable duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed. Early morning, evening and weekend work required as determined by operational needs or assigned.
1. Analyzing past performance of marketing campaigns, and then applying that knowledge and insight in order to establish strategic direction for future marketing efforts.
2. Develop, manage, and execute an annual strategic marketing and communications plan for FSEVA to span across all communication media (online and offline) and reach appropriate target audiences, based upon specific performance goals.
3. Manage and implement local and national Cause Marketing Campaigns.
4. Foster best practices and execute marketing campaigns to increase foot traffic.
5. Oversee the creative direction of all branding campaigns.
6. Develop, manage, and produce materials to create a cohesive image and message for print and all offline communication vehicles, including, but not limited to the following: Newsletter; brochures and information kits; annual report; events (invitations, postcards, etc.); press kits, and media ads (print and radio). Oversee design and printing. Ensure that all materials are developed and distributed according to an appropriate timeline.
7. Provide project-management support for priority projects to include marketing for events, and provide annual research highlights report, to ensure projects stay on course.
8. Assist in establishing marketing budget and ensure budgeted expenses and return on investment targets are met for the marketing projects assigned.
9. Research, understand, and implement industry specific best practices that can optimize marketing and communication outcomes.
10. Establish and manage the work plan, goal setting and performance management for communications and marketing initiatives.
11. Track, analyze and report on appropriate performance statistics in assessing optimal resource usage; where appropriate develop, recommend and/or implement strategies to optimize resources.
12. Assist in formulation and execution of new events that fit the FSEVA brand.
13. Ability to organize and use market research.
b) Interactive/Creative Services
1. Review updates and ongoing enhancement to Internet website.
2. Produce and implement printed and online communication material used in internal and external marketing-communications initiatives.
3. Maintain a high standard of quality and visual consistency in printed and electronic materials.
4. Develop creative content (includes digital and interactive content).
c) Communication and Public Affairs
1. Oversee all public relations activities.
2. Manage media projects, including press releases, media advisories, and announcements.
3. Generate story line opportunities utilizing new media and traditional outlets.
4. Plan and manage external communication efforts, including but not limited to publicity for events, program launches, breaking news, etc.
5. Drive brand-specific public relations activity.
6. Oversee all online communication vehicles, including but not limited to the; emails; and social media, including Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. with experience in compiling and monitoring reports on usage trends, advising on potential opportunities.
7. Review, analyze and measure success of community engagement.
8. Act as a back-up for website management and design.
d) Supervise volunteers during tasks/assignments and show/share responsibility for the overall Volunteer Experience at the Foodbank.
e) Completes other tasks as needed or requested by the Chief Philanthropy Officer and Senior Management [CEO, CFO, and COO].
Minimum of 6 years’ experience in Marketing, Public Relations or a related field. Non-Profit experience a plus.
Essential Education, (Required):
Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications or related field.
1. Commitment to understanding and supporting FSEVA’s mission.
2. Compassion and appreciation for hunger issues.
3. General knowledge of nonprofit organizational practices.
4. Superior writing and oral communication skills.
5. Strong editing skill.
6. Basic Microsoft Office computer skills.
7. Basic design/layout experience (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Microsoft Publisher).
8. Basic HTML and CSS knowledge preferred.
9. Attention to detail and strong project management skills.
10. Ability to follow through on tasks with minimal supervision
11. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
12. Ability to work as part of a team.
13. Professional attitude and appearance.
14. Access to a vehicle to attend meetings, events and activities throughout 11 cities and counties of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore; good driving record and a valid driver’s license.
Local and regional travel required with some infrequent overnight travel for training and conferences.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following when working in the office or warehouse environment:
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds when handling donations, documents and files in a mixed warehouse and office environment.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision while working with documents, computer screens, and filing.
• Regularly required to talk and hear when communicating with employees, donors, and clients.
• The use of hands and fingers are necessary to handle or feel documents and keyboards.
How to apply: If this sounds like the opportunity for you to serve our community and help eliminate hunger, please send your resume and salary history to email@example.com.
The Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia encourages applications from qualified persons of every race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and disability.